9.14.2011

lately



Sports are hard on mothers.  An experienced mom told me yesterday that when your son plays quarterback he is either the hero or the zero.  It's true.  Even though there are lots of players that contribute to a win or a loss, the quarterback has a heavy responsibility and lots of times get most of the blame.

Last night our sweet teen played his first game as QB.  He was so nervous.  He looked great.  Confident, collected and steady.  He played his heart out even with a migraine and messed up helmet.  He led his team well and I could not be more proud of how he carried himself.  He plays with heart, integrity and humble confidence.

It's not easy sitting in the stands watching it all unfold.  Listening to the cheers and jeers of the crowd.  Some mothers don't use filters.  I need to remember that.  I need to keep my filter on all the time.  That same mom also told me to sit in the stands and surround myself with parents who will support us and love our son no matter what the outcome of the game is and if there is no one like that, then sit by yourself.  Despite the unfiltered comments, I was surrounded by two sweet women who encouraged me the entire game.  We laughed together, sighed together and held our breath together.  And in the end, when we ran out of time and the score was not what we had hoped for, we supported one another.  Thank you Lord for putting those two women beside me last night.

I'll be sitting with them the rest of the season all the while reciting...Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.  Psalm 141:3

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this. I have a 3 y/o boy & an almost 7 y/o boy. My oldest will play his 2nd season of flag football this fall. I may be in your shoes someday. I will remember your wise words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sweet teen of yours. I always love to hear what you have to say.

    And what you're not saying will speak volumes to those other moms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We play a different kind of futbol in our family, but I grew up in football family. I love that you had people supporting your and your family next to you. May the season be free from injury on and off the field. Enjoy this season.
    xo from NWA

    *We will be in Branson briefly for the big Ironman tri weekend on Sunday. Maybe we will run into you all if you are around. We have many friends racing & we are coming to support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People that say anything about Zachary don`t know him. I know he always plays his heart out! He`s so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! That first picture took my breath away a little... Wow. Where is little Zac-y???

    It is a real privilege to watch Zac grow up. I really love the character I see in him...plus, just his FUN personality.

    I'll say it again: (and again) I love your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that you have those supportive people around you!!! i hope to be one of them next week.

    so proud of zac for being so brave. being the QB really takes a lot of guts. good for him!

    ReplyDelete