9.22.2011

texas high school football...there's nothing like it

 This past weekend we went to the Lone Star State to watch a pretty cool senior play football.  They grow 'em big in Texas.  Here he is...#54.  So proud of him.
It was homecoming.  Oh how I love a good homecoming game.  Where we live now, mums the word.  No one has ever heard of a homecoming mum.  It's a shame too.  Cause the longer the ribbons, the deeper the love, in my opinion.

 Here's #54 with his sweet mother.  He was nominated for homecoming king.  So handsome and humble.
 His royal crowning.  The people in the stands were going crazy for Sam.  He's pretty special.
 Calling out the captains for the coin toss.  We won it, of course.  I love how the captains link together to show team unity.  We all could use more team unity in our lives.
 Like I said....there is nothing like Texas football.  I've never been to games like the ones in Texas.  It's all about the experience and fanfare.   And really, the game is just a small part of Friday night lights.  The drill team is where it's at, y'all.
Here's Red Oak high school.  My sweet husband's alma mater.  If you ask him, he'll sing you the school song.  And he won't tell you that he, too, was once crowned homecoming king on that same field as his youngest cousin.

My older boys and their cousin, Sam.  They adore him.  He's been such a neat role model for them throughout his growing up years.  And what I love about this beast of a teenager is that he can tackle the largest opponent on the field and then show up at his Memaw's house later and let these little cousins climb all over him and wrestle him to the ground as if he is the weakest kid on the block.   He shows Christ by his character on and off the field.  His teammates and friends all look up to him.  Yet he always has time to play catch in the yard with his two biggest fans.  We love you, #54 even if you do have a beard and you're only seventeen.

One more of a mum. I don't even know who this girl is.  I just asked if I could take a pic of her mum.  I really wanted to ask her if I could wear it for a minute, but if I remember correctly, those suckers are hard to pin on.  I so wish my boyfriend would have bought me one.  But I guess after seventeen years and three kids, I don't need long ribbons to know how deep the love is.

4 comments:

  1. Dang, this post about Texas Football made me ALL TEARY!!! Okay, not the football part, but the cousin Sam part. The part about Sam is just so sweet--I can picture him wrestling with his adoring cousins. What a neat guy!

    And JIMMY was homecoming king? Well, I never knew! I'll have to have him sing the song soon!

    Oh--one more thing: You look AMAZING in the black embroidered shirt. Seriously!!! Wear that whole outfit more often!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweetest post EVER. love it! especially that last line. you're cute, dawn. no two ways about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with MK. Love hearing about such a great young man like Sam. And you DO look right smart in that black top with those stylish glasses on your cute face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, I love this post also! You captured the spirit of the evening! So fun! Samuel is a special young man! Thank you for sharing your sweet thoughts!

    ReplyDelete